Friday, October 15, 2004

Tired But Happy

Today I thought it's been too long since I hadn't gone abroad. So I took my bike and went to Germany, to Kehl to be exact (doh, where else in Germany could I go by bike, Berlin!?). It is a pretty long ride, but considering the fact that we (Maiu, Rainar & me) walked the same distance in August carrying our dreadfully heavy sacks, it was a rather nice little outing. And it was fun to see familiar places that brought back memories of our great trip: the road that was under construction (and still is); the bridge, under which we finished our Taizé pasta leftovers; the place where we tried to hitchhike with no luck for quite a while; the sign that said there is one more kilometer until the German border, when I thought I couldn't walk another step; the Pont Europe with a poem by Kaplinski (I was too tired to read it back then); the stone where we rested and poured some ice tea on it... Oh, those were the days. I suddenly felt really sorry I didn't have to go to Karlsruhe or Baden-Baden at the moment. It felt like I could leave my bike by the road and just go... Oh well.
The actual reason for my trip was that I had to buy a train ticket because I'm going to Germany the next weekend. It was the most expensive train ticket I have ever bought and that's just because I'm afraid to get lost in a 15h/6 changes-trip that would have cost me three times less. Najah. After getting rid of my money I went to the European park where there are lots of playgrounds for kids and also posts with the colours of every EU country's flag. There I sat down for a while, drank the cheapest beer (in order to celebrate my ticket or something like that) and see-sawed right between Estonian and Finnish posts. And suddenly it felt as if home is not so far away after all...
Speaking of which: yesterday I received the second package from home. It was rather heavy and contained lots of goodies. I must admit - unpacking the bottle of Originaal brought a little tear of joy to my eyes... It's just so beautiful!!! Now I am waiting for a special occasion to open it because I don't want to "waste it". And the sweetest thing ever is that mom sent me some home-made pickles :). Now I'm happy because I have my beer, my ticket, my friends (somewhere out there), my books and some more mail coming from home. Who needs money anyway!?!

Coldplay "The Scientist"

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

I promise to take pictures next time, tho this trip wasn't anything spectacular really...

But travelling is my thing, so if it is in any way possible then you can count me in :)