Sunday, November 14, 2004

The Concert

Was absolutely stunning!
The place (La Laiterie) was surprisingly small/ I expected something like Saku suurhall and all I got was a small Zelluloos - a bit ghetto-like, but the cooler.
The show started with a young French rockband Asyl. All I can say about the band is that they were Muse/Placebo-wannabes and two of four guys are probably gay. The drummer was on the top tho - knew how to play his stuff and had this cool punkrocker look (bony but muscular), yum. :) What was really annoying was that they did a 30 minute pause after each band and that was the boring part of the whole thing.
After a while of waiting they were finally on stage in all their glory - the great and legendary - The Stranglers. I had no idea what to expect from them because I hadn't ever actually listened to their music before. They were really catchy even though I recognized only a few songs. The Stranglers as a band is older than I am, so that makes Paul Roberts (the singer)... well, let's just say "over forty" (cause "old" is such an ugly word) and he looks so GOOD! His chest, sixpack, tattoos, clothes, his stage presence...mmmmm! At the end they were called back twice and did four extra songs, which is great, it shows that they don't have the whole "superstar"-act. I know, I know, you're all dying to know... Yes, they did play "Golden Brown" and to me it was the best song of the set :)
But the concert wasn't over yet - there was still on band to play and to my surprise, most people were really anticipating for it. It was an absolutely unknown name to me and I had no idea what they were all about. When Daniel Darc finally came on stage I was a bit shocked by the looks of the singer: short, balding and had the air as if he was very much "on" something... The second thing I noticed was the drummer - extra nice, I would even say - my personal favourite out of all the men who were on the stage that evening! I didn't know what to think of the music after the first song for I was still a bit confused by what was going on on the stage, but I got over it pretty soon. Daniel Darc is the best thing I have seen/heard for a long time!!! I seriously fell in love with their music! Especially touching was their last song when the singer just took a sequent from the bible and read it (as much as I understood it was the "As I walk through the valley of the shadow..."-part) while the band was playing hypnotical rhythms... It just got to my bones, it was sooo good! The people were crazy about them, yelling "encore" so they had to come back twice, but it still wasn't even nearly enough!
As a conclusion: yeah, The Stranglers were good, BUT - I wanna see Daniel Darc again!!!!!! I hope I will have the chance. In the meanwhile - I'm raiding music stores...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

um-um-um... like i've said before and i'll say it again and again... the western europeans are lucky bastards! the music and the bands they get... but are sometimes too tired or bored (or ok, i'll give you thet much - broke) to see.
igaljuhul tundub see asi ülilahe, mitte midagi köpilikku ehk siis tasemel asi ja no kurat, ilusaid mehi pole kunagi liiga palju - v.a. geiparaadil
miu